Northern Savings Fund - Marked as an Art Gallery
The muscular granite and stone bank at 600 Spring Garden Street, at the edge of the Callowhill industrial district, has been heavily altered over the years, but still holds much of its original design aesthetic on the north and east facades. This landmark, the Northern Savings Fund bank, was designed by the renowned Philadelphia architects Frank Furness and George Hewitt and erected between 1872 and 1873 for the Norther Savings Fund & Safe Deposit Company. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977, making historic preservation tax credits available to the owner of the building. Northern Savings Fund was also places on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places in 1978 and again in 2010. However, it appears that demolition of the building additions and significant alterations have occurred both inside and out between these dates, which implies that the building remains vulnerable in a long economically strained industrial neighborhood currently experiencing a revival. We propose to adapt the building for an art gallery to aid in preserving the remaining portions of this architectural work by Furness & Hewitt.